Friday, July 10, 2009

Fishing Report: Rivanna River at North Milton Road

I went to check out another place to wade the Rivanna for smallies. I parked at the boat ramp parking area off of North Milton Road, crossed the street and followed the well blazed path along the river. I found a nice put in and wet waded downstream. I initially was in a section with fast moving water in the middle and nice deep pools with overhanging trees along the shoreline. Several nice smallmouth and a ton of bluegill were taken with my styrofoam poppers (I'd give them a name if I thought no one had made them the way I make them...) and safely returned to continue to grow larger.

View Virginia Medical Fly Fishing in a larger map

Farther down the water started slowing down and the river bottom became more silted and grassy. I caught a few more here on a white CK baitfish but the wading became difficult and I found myself pulling myself out of muddy banks hoping not to lose my crocs. (Yes, I wear crocs. They are God's gift to man.)

All in all, I'd say it's a great section. A lot less pressure than at the Darden Trowe Park section and better places to find big fish. If and when I go again, I'm definitely going to walk father upstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment