Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fishing Report: James River at Scottsville

Took a nice 3 mile float trip down the James this weekend with some friends. I brought along some fly rods just in case the fish were biting. On a side note, be careful where you put your expensive fishing equipment because as I learned at our put-in site, people will gladly swipe someone else's stuff if it's left alone for more than a minute.

We put in where James River Runners is located at Hatton Ferry and floated downstream to the takeout at Scottsville.
View Virginia Medical Fly Fishing in a larger map
Fishing for the first mile and a half was practically nonexistent. The second half of the trip, however, was much better. In fact, about a quarter of a mile from the take out in Scottsville, I pulled in my biggest smallie of the year with one of my glitterbugs. Overall, there was some awesome smallie fishing on the James in this section, you just have to know where to look. I'll definitely be heading back here in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment