Sunday, June 28, 2009

Fishing Report: Hughes River & Sharp Rock Vineyards



Today, Cameron and I went to one of my favorite mountain streams, the Hughes River.  My dad started taking me there to fly fish when I was probably about five or six years old.  As John Gierach would say, it's "my St. Vrain".  It's not the most glamorous river, nor does it have the best brook trout fishing around, but it's home.

We grounded our gear at 12:30 today, and I have to admit that I was a little worried about a midday slump and hot weather.  Neither happened.  It was one of those charmed days with good cloud cover, a slight breeze, and steady balmy temps.  We were fortunate to land quite a few brookies today.  None would make your eyes pop out of your head, but they were some very pretty fish.  Parachute adams and blue winged olives were hot today, but humpies or elk hair caddis would have probably done well too. 

After fishing the Hughes, make sure you stop by Sharp Rock Vineyards.  Sharp Rock is just outside Nethers, Va where you park for Old Rag Mountain and the Hughes.  They have great wine, an awesome B&B, and they are super friendly.  There is also the added bonus of some very friendly dogs on the farm to play with.  I've been going to festivals and tastings at the vineyard since college and it's always a great time.  In fact, there is a festival complete with BBQ and music coming up on July 11th.  It's sure to be a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment