Monday, April 4, 2011

Beaver 'Bows 4/4/2011

I showed up at Peds Cardiology clinic today only to find that we did not have any patients. After being cut loose early, I decided to call the Ottobine Store and see if there were any passes left for Beaver Creek. It turns out I got the last one.


By the time I pulled up to the store it was almost 1600 and it looked like one of the fishermen from the morning was just putting his gear away. I paid for my pass and headed upstream to start fishing in the field across from the elementary school. Two factors made fishing difficult this afternoon. For one thing, the wind was blowing between 20-30 mph the whole time I was there. That made for some interesting line tricks to keep my fly on target. Secondly, I had never fished Beaver in the evening, and the shadows proved to be pretty wicked in the stretch I fished.

I only fished for about 2.5 hours and landed all three fish I hooked up with. It's nice to see that Beaver still holds the big fat 'bows I've come to expect there. The first fish I caught was by far the nicest and jumped four times. I was casting nymphs with my 5 wt with a small white bobbing indicator. I saw one nice fish roll on a dry fly, but that was the only top water action of the day. All in all it was an unexpectedly awesome day.

2 comments:

  1. Rich I fished the same stretch from 10 til 2. Got 1 nice bow as well on your Kreelex. Regretfully, I put little effort into nymphing or drys due to lack of bugs. Your post here completes my visit with the typical coulda-shoulda revelations that follow all of my days on an unfamiliar stream... Thanks again for the info and fly on the Mossy on Sunday.
    B McGuire

    ReplyDelete
  2. B, it was awesome fishing with you on Sunday. Glad you made it out to Beaver, that's one of my favorite spots to fish in Virginia. Hope you had a safe trip home. Tight lines!
    -Rich

    ReplyDelete