Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mossy Creek 3/13/2011

After seeing that we were looking an almost 70 degree day on Sunday, Kyle and I knew we had to stretch some line. I did the same post-call maneuver of scrambling to grab my gear after finishing rounds. We debated whether the park or the valley would have better water levels after the torrents we experienced the week before. After much hemming and hawing we decided to try Mossy.

I've had mostly a hate/hate relationship with Mossy over the years. It's a beautiful spot, but the challenges posed by wary trout, the prohibition of wading, and the foliage in the river have led to more than one skunked day for me. The saving grace was that I would be fishing with Kyle. He somehow knows exactly where to find the prehistoric browns for which Mossy is so famous.



As it turned out, the water levels were spectacular. The stream was slightly stained and the moss patties covered generously by water. This was a boon considering the bluebird sky we had and it kept us from hanging up too much fishing kreelex (copper/gold of course). We started fishing by the spillway downstream from the church. Kyle landed one on the second cast right under the car bridge. This piqued our interest for sure, but we were unable to turn any other heads in the channels along the spillway.

Things really picked up between 4:00 and 6:30. The browns turned on so much that any kreelex swung over the moss and into the channels made greedy fish give long, sustained chase. Many fish just nipped at our flies, but we were able to land 9 between the three of us. We even saw pairs of browns tailing along the undercuts and running upstream spawning. This is the most activity I've ever personally seen on the creek save last September when dad and I ran into a large group of browns steadily sipping bugs off the top. I'd say it was a very solid day for Mossy. My opinion might be veering more toward love than hate at this point.

3 comments:

  1. I was under the impression that Brown trout were genetically wired to be fall spawners, even in spring creeks. I'm wondering if the behaviour you saw wasn't spawning, or if the trout weren't browns. Perhaps they were rooting for scuds or sowbugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite possible, Heron. I'm not an expert in their biology. It seemed like spawning since they were running in pairs and breaking the surface as they struggled upstream. On the other hand, a spawning female would probably have multiple males chasing, no? You probably have a point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually found that kreelex with the orange head at the gravel parking lot at mossy a few weeks back haha. I go to JMU and am lucky enough to be able to fish mossy all the time. Great blog. If you have a chance please look at mine.

    ReplyDelete