Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fishing Report: Upper/TJTU Moormans River 10/28/09


This first week of class has been awesome. I fished the Rapidan with my buddy John on Monday, and took the afternoon off today to fish a few sections of the Moormans. The drought has left the reservoir very low and as a result hardly any water is flowing over the dam to help the TJTU section. Even with the steady rain yesterday, things do not look like they have improved much. There are still some big fish from last year hunkered down in the deep pools, but it doesn't look like TU has been out to stock yet this fall.

Luckily, things were way better up above the reservoir. Yesterday's rain had a huge impact on the Upper Moormans increasing the water levels significantly. The brookies were aggressively attacking dry flies. I landed a bunch of little guys and one nice 6/7 incher on royal wulffs. I ended up missing two of the prettiest brookies I've ever seen. I watched each one rise slowly to sip my fly, but in my excitement I yanked it right out of their mouths; it broke my heart. Hopefully water levels will stay relatively high up there until the next rainfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment