Sunday, May 10, 2009

Fly Tying Instructions: Snowshoe Humpy

So lately, I've been a huge fan of using snowshoe rabbit's foot fur (SSRF) in my flies. It is a tough material. I've caught a ton of fish conseculatively with SSRF flies and they continue to withstand the rough treatment. It also is EXTREMELY hydrophobic material. Personally, I prefer to not have to continually be drying off flies or switching up flies because they get waterlogged. SSRF continues to by water resistant fish after fish. Also, compared to other materials (CDC for one) it's ability to float isn't hampered by any mucous from the inside of a fish's mouth. One more thing about it is that despite being tough, it's still very delicate and light. So, while I love using the classic humpy flies tied with elk hair, my version of the fly with SSRF seems to land softer than the somewhat heavier elk hair humpy.

So I've decided to put together a very short tutorial on how to tie this fly.

First, I prefer tying it on size 12 to 16 dry fly hooks.

Start the thread and bring it to the back of the hook shank.

Cut out a good clump of SSRF. For those of you unfamiliar with SSRF, I think the best way to get at the best hair is to split the foot in half first. The best hairs are the ones that are in the middle of the foot. Cut out a clump about the same size as you would use to put in any wing on a fly. Remove any shorter hairs and don't worry about stacking the hair, just be sure that the hair is relatively even.

Tie in the SSRF with the tips as the tail of the fly. I don't make a very long tail, probably a little shorter than the length of the hook shank. Give it a few good wraps to ensure the hair is well secured on the top of the hook.

Bring the thread forward of where the tail was tied in. Add a good amount of dubbing to the thread and form a pretty fat body to the fly that starts from the tie in point for the tail and ends at the 1/3 point of the shank from the eye of the hook.


Pull the SSRF hair forward over the belly formed. Pull it together tightly and then wrap several wraps to secure the hair down. Leave the rest of the SSRF hair intact for now.

Secure a hackle to the fly where the SSRF was just tied down. Then bring the thread forward to the eye of the hook. On the way forward, I like to make a bunch of wraps just in front of the SSRF to push the wing up from the hook.


Make several turns behind and in front of the wing with the hackle. Tied down the hackle at the hook eye and then whip finish.

Clean up the fly a little bit. I usually trim the extra SSRF of the wing so that it's about the same height as the hackle. I also usually trim the hackle on the bottom of the fly to make it even with the width of the hook curve.

Here's the finished fly:



I'll tie this fly in practically any pattern. My favorites right now are one that matches a sulphur mayfly: medium dun SSRF, grizzly hackle, and sulphur yellow dubbing, and a caddis: tan SSRF, brown hackle, and olive dubbing. Feel free to experiment of course.

This fly is ideal for fishing in fast rough water, like that seen in some of the Rapidan's pools. I don't think the fly needs to match the body color or shape of a specific fly necessarily when the water is moving so fast. Instead, I think it's important that your fly remains floating and visible. This fly will definitely remain both floating and visible. Good luck. I hope it helps you catch more fish.

1 comment:

  1. i need to make this one! i got excited after my orvis trip

    ReplyDelete